Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Long Run and Tempting French Toast...

The weekend is here!  It's nice to have a weekend where I don't have a ton of plans and can kind of just lounge around, catch up on things, and meet up with friends.  This morning I did my 10 mile run, which went pretty well overall.  I started at Sloan's Lake, which is a park in Denver, and headed towards downtown this way:


  















At the halfway point, I turned around back to Sloan's Lake, and finished the long run with a running group.  Every Saturday they do a "Dash and Dine", where we meet at different parks each week in Denver and then go out to breakfast.  This week we went to a place called the "Coral Room," and they have great breakfast!  Every time, I'm tempted to get the Devil's French Toast, which is made with apple wood smoked bacon and dark chocolate shavings, but I resisted and went with egg whites, toast, and treated myself to some breakfast potatoes, although I think next time I'm for sure going to have go for the french toast :)



















I've gone enough to this running group now that I am starting to recognize people, so it's a great chance to get a workout in and be social, too!  I actually found the running group through this website called Meetup.com.  It has all kinds of groups-- you just type in your zip code and what you're looking for (i.e. running group, book club, happy hour), and you can find tons of groups in your area that plan get-togethers.  It's a great way to meet new people, especially if you're new to a town.  I've found quite a few people here use it and it's pretty reliable!

As for the rest of the day, I plan on relaxing, cleaning, making a trip to Barnes and Noble, and meeting a friend for dinner, so I'm looking forward to the day.

Next week's training:
Monday: Cross Training (Bike/Swim/Yoga)
Tuesday: 4 mi
Wednesday: 7 mi Fartlek (3-4 minute surges during the run at 8:20 pace)
Thursday: 4 mi
Friday: Off
Saturday: 12 mi (which might be switched around since that is Dance Marathon)
Sunday: 4 mi recovery

My friend Vanessa and I are thinking of trying a weekend "Detox Diet," in an attempt to get rid of some of the excess sugar, processed foods, etc. in our diets, so I'm going to work on researching a fairly simple one to do.  We have tried going 2 weeks without chocolate, and that didn't work too well for us, but we are optimistic about our next attempt, even though it is a little more aggressive than just getting rid of chocolate- haha.  Anyone have any good recommendations or thoughts on that?  Let me know!  

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm...now that you posted our detox diet plan online, we are going to have to stick to it! I love the idea of getting rid of all the crap in my body though. Hope you find a good (and easy) plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew and I want to do that too. There is a week long one 'the cabbage soup diet', heard it's pretty successful, but not a complete detox. I just saw this book called 'CLEAN' on Martha Stewart by a Dr. Junger I think and it looked like more what you're looking for. Good luck dear! miss you.

    ReplyDelete