Thursday, January 28, 2010

I can't do a handstand but can make a mean salad...

Hi everyone!  I hope all is well and that everyone's having a great week!  My week's been pretty good-- busy at work as usual-- tomorrow we're moving to a new office, so that should be fun and keep things interesting!  We've spent the last few weeks painting (which I learned quickly is NOT a talent of mine), and now we're headed down the block!  I also just booked a flight to come home for Dance Marathon next week.  As most of you know, that was a HUGE part of my college life.  It's a fundraiser for the University of Iowa Children's Hospital, and we dance for 24 hours.  I met my best friends through that organization and am so excited to go back and see everyone next week!  Visit the website to find out more: www.dancemarathon.org

Running's been going well-- it's been a little colder here this week and we had about an inch of snow last night, but I'm making it through!  On Sunday I did 8 miles with my friend Ben on the Highline Canal after we went to church, so that was a good way to start training.  I've stuck to the plan most of this week, but have throw
n a few things in here and there to mix it up.  Instead of doing my 7 mile run mid week, I decided to do a 6 mile tempo, so I ran at a faster pace than what's "comfortable" for me.  It was nice, because I went over my lunch break around Boulder-- was able to get some fresh air, sunshine, and explore for a little while.  I've also started doing yoga and want to try and do that a couple of times a week regularly.  I used to think yoga
 would be a piece of cake-- WRONG.   Today when I went they were teaching the basic positions to get in a hand stand.  Me? Handstand? Haha, yeah right. 

Anyways, when I got home tonight, I decided to make my FAVORITE dish, which is this awesome hearty and healthy salad, so I thought I'd share it with you all (Courtesy of my Aunt Wendy!):


Black Bean Taco Salad


















Makes 1-2 Servings

Lime-Cumin Dressing:
1 lime, juiced (a lem
on will work, too)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
dash of salt
Whisk together ingredients listed above.

Salad:

3/4 can black beans, drained and rinsed
(you can also add or substitute shrimp or chicken for this-- I like to add shrimp along with the black beans)
3 cups romaine lettuce
1 tomato, chopped
10 whole grain tortilla chips, crushed
1/4 avocado, chopped

Toss all ingredients together and top 
with Lime-Cumin Dressing.  Dressing can also be used to marinate fish.  

If I'm not making this for another person as well, I'll usually throw it into a tupperware container and have it for lunch the next day, since it's such a healthy and filling meal.  You get your veggies, protein, healthy fats, and all that other good stuff...

And then it looks like this:


















YUM!  Enjoy :)

1 comment:

  1. oh yum!I remember having that at Wendy's house last spring! it was soo yummy. So glad to see you posting on here again! love it!

    ReplyDelete