Thursday, July 16, 2009

My first blog post!

After much consideration, observation, and research, I've decided it might not be so bad to start a blog.  I'm taking life one day at a time and am still finding new surprises in each moment, so thought it might be interesting to blog about it, and a good way to keep everyone up to date on any life happenings.  

So, just a brief overview, I graduated back in May with a degree in Management and in Marketing.  Uncertain about the future and what might come next, I decided to take a chance.  The economy isn't so great right now, so I'm trying to think of it as an opportunity for change and adventure.  Just a few weeks after graduating, I packed my things into the car and drove out to Colorado.  I'm lucky enough that my uncle and aunt, Steve and Wendy, were gracious to open their home to me and give me a place to stay while I figure everything out here.  

The day after I arrived, I headed to Boulder for an interview at a newer running shoe company for a social media internship.  I was fortunately offered the position and started working immediately.  I love where I am working-- the people are great, the energy is unbelievable, and the job is fun.  I even get to go on a run sometimes in the middle of the day and can find other people to jump on board!

Now, about a month later, I'm starting to figure things out.  Work is still going well-- I am traveling to the east coast all next week to sell the running shoes at an Ironman expo.  It's my first travel experience with work, so I'm very excited for the opportunity and think it will be a great chance for me to get a better feel for our customers, shoe fitting, and selling!  It will also be great to get to know some of the other employees that I'm going there with. 

Running here is a bit harder-- higher altitude and lots of hills.  But it's good for me and I'm adjusting :)  I'm starting to train for another marathon, but still have to figure out which one I'm going to do!

I've been trying to get involved with some volunteer work on the side as well, particularly at the Children's Hospital and with the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, both which are great non-profits and I love doing it.  I'm also meeting people-- slowly, but surely.  There are some great people at work that are around my age and I also know a few others in town.  Hoping that getting involved outside of work will give me a better opportunity for this-- I'll keep you posted.  It's a little different from college-- you don't just live next door to thousands of other people your age that are also just as eager to make friends.  So it's different, but I know that I'll just have to be proactive, but also patient, and give it time.

Well, it's getting past my bedtime and my eyes are closing on me, so I must go....  

No comments:

Post a Comment